Tingley Coliseum was originally constructed in 1956. Its purpose was to provide for arena activities such as horse shows, rodeos, and for various activities related to New Mexico State Fair. As time passed, the facility had fallen into disrepair, had code deficiencies and did not meet the needs for a wide range of event types. DWL-NM working in association with Gregory Hicks was commissioned to enhance the image of the outdated facility and give it new vitality. Many design components were added to the facility: Multipurpose Entry Lobby and Courtyard, Elevator, New Audience Seating, Remodeled Restrooms, Performer Dressing Area, Fire Protection System, Electrical upgrade, New Finishes throughout, New Food Vendor Improvements and Acoustical Upgrades. These enhancements have given the facility the ability to accommodate a wide range of activities throughout the year.